So, a few months ago I decided to learn some of the tricks of the trade, instead of just talk about them here. I found a little table that I though I could spruce up and have made it my first project. The 'real' workers have been very patient with me as I complete each step (and try to stay out of their way). Today I used a power saw for the first time. It was a little scary at first, but after the first cut I felt like a pro. After the 10th cut, I think I could cut just about anything! Ok, so maybe that is a little over confident. I also started working on the trim pieces today. The table has this beautiful beading but some of it has fallen apart. I wanted to preserve as much of the old beading as possible, which meant the new had to blend with the old.
The old beading has a very different shape then the new though. The old beading (far right) has an almost tubular shape, while the new beading (far left) is very round. So I took the new beading and sanded all the edges off to create a more tubular look (center). I think it turned out pretty well. It will need a special stain to bring it to the same color as the old beading, but then I think you wont even notice the difference. Next task, pick out a pretty veneer!